Assistant Director of Bands
The Lutheran High School Association of St. Louis is seeking to hire a full-time Assistant Director of Bands for its Lutheran High School South campus. Interested applicants should email their resume and cover letter to Sharon Thurman, Human Resources Manager: Sthurman@LHSAstl.org.
Proposed work schedule
During normal school hours. Availability for before or after hour rehearsals and performances. Monday night rehearsals during the school year. Potential for summer band camps.
The Lutheran South Band program employs teachers that teach across the program at all levels, from beginning band (fifth grade) through high school, in heterogeneous classes. The Assistant Director of Bands serves as the lead teacher at 4-5 elementary schools within the Elementary Band Program, co-direct the Junior Winds Select Band, and assists, on occasion, with the high school ensembles (i.e., sectionals, evaluations, small ensemble coaching).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach beginning, intermediate, and advanced elementary band
- Co-Direct the Junior Winds Middle School Select Band (Monday evening)
- Weekly staff meeting
- Outside of school performances and rehearsals
- Knowledge of child development and of educational characteristics specific to each grade level
- Ability to maintain an educational learning environment and manage the classroom
- Ability to teach instrumental music from beginning to advanced levels
- Ability to plan long range, with short term flexibility
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High attention to long-term and short-term details
- Specific area musical expertise (i.e., woodwinds, percussion, jazz)
- Commitment to continuing education (i.e., attend conferences, advanced degrees)
- Ability to travel between schools (mileage reimbursed)
- Ability to work effectively and collegially with band staff, other teachers, and administrators.
- Ability to use technology in an effective manner.
Minimum education, skills and abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music Education
- Valid teaching license
- Commissioned minister in the LCMS, or ability to colloquize
- Previous experience in instrumental music instruction (preferred)