Director of Institutional Advancement
JOB TITLE: Director of Institutional Advancement
REPORTS TO: Head of School
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
WORK SCHEDULE: Regular Main Office Business Hours
HOURS PER WEEK: Full Time
The Advancement Office oversees all fundraising, donor recognition and alumni events for the school. The key areas of responsibility within the Advancement Office are development, including major gifts and annual fund fundraising, marketing and communications, and alumni services. The Director of Institutional Advancement reports directly to the Head of School and serves as a member of the senior leadership team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works with the Head of School and CFO for the creation and attainment of fundraising goals, campaigns and Advancement budgets for Lutheran North and is responsible for the management of these areas.
- Works with the Head of School as the chief fundraiser and will also directly work with assigned significant donor contacts for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Provides direct relationship support to a designated list of donors.
- Provides regular progress reports toward goals and any Key Performance Indicators established for internal or board performance tracking.
- Coordinates efforts as the school’s chief fundraiser and provides leadership to the development staff.
- Implements an annual development plan and sustains a high performing development program.
- Remains abreast of current best practices in advancement, development and donor/alumni management through active participation in professional organizations and collaboration and seeks to integrate best practices in a continuous improvement cycle.
- Ensures compliance with all laws and external regulations regarding fundraising and development activities. Recommends policy changes or creation related to the work of the Advancement Office, ensuring compliance with all policies and procedures within the Advancement Office.
- Provides leadership and management of the school’s marketing and communications personnel.
- Provides oversight of the planning and coordination of special events for fundraising purposes.
- Establishes and maintains productive relationships with foundations and the private and corporate business communities, seeking opportunities to solicit funding support or apply for grants.
- Demonstrates a passion and familiarity for the ministry at Lutheran North Middle and High School
- Fully accepts our belief statement and actively exhibits these Christian values and behavior in all s/he says and does, agreeing to limit personal expressions to remain in alignment with the school’s stated religious beliefs and those of our sponsoring church, The Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod
- Must be a member of, and in regular attendance at, a Christian congregation; a Lutheran church is preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s preferred
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation within an agreed-upon period of time
- Proven success in an outcomes-oriented environment with demonstrated results
- Working knowledge of the various vehicles and legal and procedural requirements associated with planned gifts development
- Successful senior leadership experience of a comprehensive/capital campaign is desirable
- Ability to demonstrate the understanding of cultural differences and cultural adjustment to work effectively with diverse populations
- Superior interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to build and maintain appropriately confidential relationships with high net worth individuals as well as all additional supporters and alumni
- Excellent communication, organizational, and motivational skills with the ability to speak clearly and credibly about college preparatory, Lutheran/Christian middle and high school education, and the vision and aspirations of Lutheran North
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule including weekends, weeknights and otherwise as the position requires
- Proficiency with general donor information and CRM systems (experience with Raiser’s Edge is highly desirable), as well as Microsoft Office and Google Suite applications