The Lutheran High School Association is seeking to hire a part-time Staff Accountant. This is a non-exempt, 20 hours/week position.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Verifies accuracy of and processes AP invoices to ensure timely payments to vendors.
Vendor setup and management, including updating accounting software with Federal ID numbers to expedite 1099’s
Accounts Receivable Prepares deposits of cash receipts
- Processes purchase order requests; assigns purchase order numbers
- Charges expenses to accounts and cost centers by analyzing invoice/expense reports and works with departments to obtain proper documentation and approvals
- Reviews invoices for accuracy of expense and amount
- Performs timely, accurate entry in the accounting software
- Reconciles monthly vendor statements/invoices with documentation and receipts
- Generates semi-monthly check-runs and matches checks to appropriate invoices and check requests
- Prepare 1099’s and 1096
General LedgerAssists in the month-end closing process.
- Prepares checks received log
- Prepares cash deposits for bank deposit
- Performs check deposits via the bank website and disburses copies for appropriate recording to the General Ledger
Payroll Prepares and processes company payroll to ensure employees are paid accurately and in a timely manner
- Prepares monthly account reconciliations; verifying account detail and activity by reconciling statements and transactions
- Provides detailed analysis of accounts providing analytical analysis and recommendation of journal entries as necessary.
- Assists VP of Business and Finance with audit preparation such as reconciliation work papers, compilation of auditor’s requests and annual year-end adjustments
- Prepares monthly journal entries, and year-end adjustments
- Corrects errors by posting/adjusting journal entries
- Maintains accounting controls by following policies and procedures; complying with federal, state, and local financial legal requirements
- Assists in preparation of annual budget
- Works with authorized individuals to obtain necessary information for payroll and proper authorization of timesheets
- Set-ups new employees in payroll system
- Processes semi-monthly payroll and reconciles timesheets, payroll reports and actual checks delivered by a 3rd party payroll processor
- Manages and records pay adjustments (i.e. benefits renewals, court ordered adjustments, other elected withholdings)
- Submits annual elections, employee lists or other information as appropriate to 3rd party payroll processor
- Assists the VP of Business and Finance with special projects
- Other Duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of AP, AR and GL accounting functions.
- Ability to work overtime during peak accounting times.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects/priorities simultaneously in a highly results-oriented culture
- Excellent judgment, problem assessment and analysis skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to build and maintain effective relationships with staff and external users
- Excellent computer skills, especially in Microsoft Word, Excel and Blackbaud Financial Edge financial software package
- Working knowledge of not-for-profit fund accounting
- Proven ability to work collaboratively across complex organizations and systems
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related area or 5 years equivalent work experience.
- Related experience in Blackbaud Financial Edge strongly preferred.
Email cover letter and resume to Sharon Thurman, LHSA Human Resources