Our History

Where It All Began

It began with the original "Lutheran High School" . . .

As leaders in Christian education, Lutheran churches in the United States operate more schools than any other Protestant denomination. In Saint Louis, secondary education began in 1946 when Lutheran High School opened at the old Mary Institute building at Lake and Waterman in the city under the leadership of first principal, Paul Lange. In that first year, Lutheran High School was home to more than 200 students in grades 9 and 10, adopting the name "Crusaders" and the colors of maroon and gold.

By 1954, studies revealed a need for a school in northwest Saint Louis County. In 1965, the original Crusaders at Lake and Waterman moved to their new location: Lutheran High School North at 5401 Lucas and Hunt Road. In 2015, Lutheran North celebrated 50 years of offering Christian secondary education to students and families in the metro St. Louis area.

Lutheran High School North and Lutheran High School South, opened in 1957 in South County, are united in ministry in the Lutheran High School Association of St. Louis. With generous support from more than 60 churches that comprise the Association, more than 15,000 alumni from LHS, LHSN and LHSS and a multi-million dollar endowment, our schools are prepared to uphold their reputation for excellence for generations to come!


In honor of the 50th anniversary of Lutheran North in 2015, the 70th anniversary of the Lutheran High School Association in 2016, and the 70th anniversary of Lutheran South in 2017, Jim Prahlow, a 1972 graduate of Lutheran South and a longtime teacher at Lutheran North, is collaborating with dozens of individuals in the writing of the history of our schools.
Providing excellence in our two private co-ed Christian high schools in Saint Louis, Missouri.

Lutheran High School Association

5401 Lucas and Hunt Road
Saint Louis, MO  63121
314-382-6650